Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Overview This collection is composed of scrapbooks created by New York Zoological Park (Bronx Zoo) Director William T. Hornaday between approximately 1896 and 1927 and concerning zoos and the Bronx Zoo in particular. Six of the scrapbooks focus on European zoos and include material that may have been collected by Hornaday in 1896 when the New York Zoological Society sent him to Europe to collect ideas for the new Bronx Zoo (a fifth zoo scrapbook covers Taronga Park). Topics covered by other scrapbooks...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair incoming correspondence and subject files
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first Director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of incoming correspondence (and sometimes carbon copies or drafts of outgoing correspondence), staff memoranda, reports, and working papers reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair outgoing correspondence
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of carbon copies of outgoing correspondence reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations administered by the director and general curator of the New York Zoological Park. These letterpress...
New York Zoological Park. Office of General Curator and General Curator Emeritus. Lee S. Crandall records and papers
Overview Lee Saunders Crandall (1887-1969) began his sixty-one year association at the New York Zoological Society's Bronx Zoo in June 1908 as a student keeper in the animal departments, and was thereafter steadily promoted through the ranks, eventually becoming the Zoo's General Curator in charge of mammals and birds in 1943. Following his 1952 retirement, Crandall continued coming in to work for another 17 years, as the Zoo's General Curator Emeritus. Crandall was lauded for his collecting trips to...
New York Zoological Park. Offices of Director and Department of Herpetology Curator. James A. Oliver records
Abstract After having received his doctorate at the University of Michigan, James A. Oliver was hired as Assistant Curator of Herpetology at the American Museum of Natural History. In 1948 Oliver left the Museum for the University of Florida's Biology Department; after three years the New York Zoological Society hired him to be the Bronx Zoo's Curator of Herpetology. Under his direction the Zoo's herpetological collections and research efforts flourished; Oliver also renovated and modernized the Zoo's...
Overview Madison Grant was the first Secretary to the Board of Managers (Trustees) of the New York Zoological Society. He became Secretary in 1895 and resigned in 1925 to assume the office of President of the New York Zoological Society. These records document a portion of the duties of the Secretary, including serving as member, ex-officio, of the Executive, Auditing, and Aquarium Committees and Scientific Council. Additionally, as Secretary, Grant maintained records about a variety of Society...
New York Zoological Society Board of Trustees. Office of Secretary/Chairman of the Executive Committee. Madison Grant records
Overview This collection includes correspondence collected, received, and composed by Madison Grant during portions of his tenure as Secretary of the New York Zoological Society from 1895 to 1925 and as Chairman of the Executive Committee from 1909 to 1937. As Secretary, after 1897 Grant served as official correspondent of the Society and this collection includes his outgoing correspondence in that role. Also present is Grant's correspondence as Chairman and President of the Bronx River Parkway...
New York Zoological Society. Department Of Education. National Collection Of Heads And Horns records.
Overview The National Collection of Heads and Horns was established by Bronx Zoo Director William T. Hornaday and New York Zoological Society (NYZS) Secretary Madison Grant in 1906. The Heads and Horns Museum building was opened in 1922. By the early 1970s, the collection was closed and the building was being used for other purposes. The collection primarily contains correspondence and inventories documenting the attempts of the Society to transfer specimens from the National Collection of Heads and...
New York Zoological Society. Departments of Birds and Mammals. Office of Assistant Curator. Grace Davall records
Overview Collection contains correspondence and subject files kept by Grace Davall, who served first as a secretary at the Bronx Zoo from 1923-1952 and as then the Zoo’s Assistant Curator for Birds and Mammals from 1952-1970. It includes correspondence between Davall and the public and records pertaining to the acquisition and transport of zoo animals, including legal aspects. Also included are records pertaining to the offspring of Dacca, the zoo’s long-lived female tiger.
Overview Harold Cornelius Palmer joined the staff of the New York Zoological Society (NYZS) in 1961 and held the position of Assistant Secretary for the Society from 1968 to 1979. This collection contains correspondence between Palmer and people and organizations related to NYZS while he was Assistant Secretary.
- Subject: Zoos -- Administration X
- New York Zoological Park 15
- New York Aquarium 8
- Hornaday, William T., (William Temple), 1854-1937 4
- Osborn, Fairfield, 1887-1969 4
- Blair, W. Reid, (William Reid), 1875- 3
- Conway, William, 1929- 3
- Grant, Madison, 1865-1937 3
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). 3
- Beebe, William, 1877-1962 2
- Conservation Foundation 2
- Crandall, Lee S., (Lee Saunders), 1887-1969 2
- Davall, Grace 2
- Institute for Research in Animal Behavior 2
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 2
- National Collection of Heads and Horns. 2
- New York Zoological Society. Board of Trustees. 2
- New York Zoological Society. Herpetology Department 2
- New York Zoological Society. Ornithology Department 2
- New York Zoological Society. Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences 2
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). Wildlife Survival Center (Saint Catherines Island, Ga.) 2
- American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. 1
- American Museum of Natural History 1
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists 1
- Bridges, William, 1901- 1
- Ditmars, Raymond Lee, 1876-1942 1
- Goelet, Robert G. 1
- Griffis, Nixon 1
- Jennings, Allyn R. 1
- McKew, John 1
- New York World's Fair (1939-1940 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York World's Fair (1964-1965 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Zoological Society. Board of Trustees. Exploration and Scientific Collection Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. City Zoos Project. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Conservation Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Publications 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Publications and Public Relations 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research 1
- New York Zoological Society. Education Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. Mammalogy Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. Office of the Assistant Director for Administrative Services 1
- New York Zoological Society. Office of the General Director 1
- New York Zoological Society. Public Affairs Division 1
- New York Zoological Society. Public Relations and Promotions Unit 1
- Oliver, James A. (James Arthur), 1914-1981 1
- Osborn, Henry Fairfield, 1857-1935 1
- Rockefeller, Laurance Spelman, 1910-2004 1
- Tee-Van, John 1
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 1
- United States. Department of Agriculture 1
- University of Florida. Department of Biology 1
- Walter, Eugene J. 1
- Wildlife Conservation International (New York Zoological Society). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). International Program. 1 ∧ less