New York Zoological Society Board of Trustees. Office of Secretary/Chairman of the Executive Committee. Madison Grant records
This collection includes correspondence collected, received, and composed by Madison Grant during portions of his tenure as Secretary of the New York Zoological Society from 1895 to 1925 and as Chairman of the Executive Committee from 1909 to 1937. Also present is Grant's correspondence as Chairman and President of the Bronx River Parkway Commission.
Major correspondents on Society matters include Henry Fairfield Osborn, Jr., William T. Hornaday, architect C. Grant LaFarge, and landscape architects H. A. Caparn and James L. Greenleaf. Subjects include the execution of plans for the Zoological Park (the Elephant, Deer, and Boat Houses, the Boston Road Entrance, and West Farms Plaza); the establishment of a bison herd at the Wichita Game Reserve; and distribution of Grant's articles on Adirondack mammals and wildlife in Alaska. Correspondents from the Bronx River Parkway Commission are Nathaniel Lord Britton, James Cannon, William White Niles, owners of land desired for the Bronx River Parkway, and officials of state, city, and local government.
- 1897 - 1912
- Grant, Madison, 1865-1937 (Person)
2.0 linear feet (5 Hollinger boxes)
2.25 cubic feet (17 letterpress volumes in 9 flat boxes)
These records are divided into four series:
- Series 1
- Correspondence, primarily incoming, regarding Zoological Society and Zoological Park administration, 1901-1910, arranged alphabetically by correspondent
- Series 2
- Correspondence and subject files regarding ground improvements, 1901-1903 and 1906-1909, arranged alphabetically by correspondent or subject
- Series 3
- Bronx River Parkway Commission correspondence and subject files, 1906-1909, arranged chronologically
- Series 4
- Outgoing correspondence, 1897-1912
- Guide to the Records of New York Zoological Society Board of Trustees Secretary/Executive Committee Chairman Madison Grant, 1897-1912
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- February 2012: Finding aid revised and entered into Archivists' Toolkit by Madeleine Thompson.
- January 2018: Finding aid revised and entered into ArchivesSpace by Sana Masood.