Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview This collection is composed of scrapbooks created by New York Zoological Park (Bronx Zoo) Director William T. Hornaday between approximately 1896 and 1927 and concerning zoos and the Bronx Zoo in particular. Six of the scrapbooks focus on European zoos and include material that may have been collected by Hornaday in 1896 when the New York Zoological Society sent him to Europe to collect ideas for the new Bronx Zoo (a fifth zoo scrapbook covers Taronga Park). Topics covered by other scrapbooks...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair incoming correspondence and subject files
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first Director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of incoming correspondence (and sometimes carbon copies or drafts of outgoing correspondence), staff memoranda, reports, and working papers reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair outgoing correspondence
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of carbon copies of outgoing correspondence reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations administered by the director and general curator of the New York Zoological Park. These letterpress...
New York Zoological Park. Office of General Curator and General Curator Emeritus. Lee S. Crandall records and papers
Overview Lee Saunders Crandall (1887-1969) began his sixty-one year association at the New York Zoological Society's Bronx Zoo in June 1908 as a student keeper in the animal departments, and was thereafter steadily promoted through the ranks, eventually becoming the Zoo's General Curator in charge of mammals and birds in 1943. Following his 1952 retirement, Crandall continued coming in to work for another 17 years, as the Zoo's General Curator Emeritus. Crandall was lauded for his collecting trips to...
Overview Madison Grant was the first Secretary to the Board of Managers (Trustees) of the New York Zoological Society. He became Secretary in 1895 and resigned in 1925 to assume the office of President of the New York Zoological Society. These records document a portion of the duties of the Secretary, including serving as member, ex-officio, of the Executive, Auditing, and Aquarium Committees and Scientific Council. Additionally, as Secretary, Grant maintained records about a variety of Society...
New York Zoological Society. Department of Animal Health. Office of Chief Veterinarian. Emil P. Dolensek, DVM records
Collection — Multiple Containers
Overview Emil P. Dolensek, DVM (1941-1990), was the Chief Veterinarian for the New York Zoological Society from 1969 to 1990. This collection includes animal records (which are restricted), correspondence, reports, research notes, architectural diagrams, manuscripts, and a small number of photographs. The majority of records in this collection concentrate on the daily activities of the Department of Animal Health headed by Dr. Dolensek as Chief Veterinarian. Other records in the collection relate to the...
Overview William Bridges (1901-1984) was appointed Editor and Curator of Publications of the New York Zoological Society in 1935 and Curator of Publications Emeritus in 1966. This collection consists of papers relating to the Department of Publications while headed by Elwin R. Sanborn (1901-1935) and William Bridges (1935-1966). The collection also contains correspondence, notes, research articles, typescripts, revisions, production notes, and page proofs pertaining to articles and books written by...
New York Zoological Society. Departments of Birds and Mammals. Office of Assistant Curator. Grace Davall records
Overview Collection contains correspondence and subject files kept by Grace Davall, who served first as a secretary at the Bronx Zoo from 1923-1952 and as then the Zoo’s Assistant Curator for Birds and Mammals from 1952-1970. It includes correspondence between Davall and the public and records pertaining to the acquisition and transport of zoo animals, including legal aspects. Also included are records pertaining to the offspring of Dacca, the zoo’s long-lived female tiger.
Overview During his career at NYZS, F. Wayne King held positions as Curator of Herpetology, Chairman of Educational Programs, Director of Conservation and Environmental Education, Director of Conservation, and Director of Zoology. This collection contains the correspondence, subject files, and administrative files of F. Wayne King’s work at NYZS.
Fonds — Multiple Containers
Overview John Tee-Van (1897-1967) worked for the New York Zoological Society for 51 years, starting as Assistant Keeper of Birds in 1911 and working his way up to General Director of the New York Zoological Park and Aquarium in 1956, and General Director Emeritus in 1962. This collection consists of Tee-Van’s papers relating to the Office of the General Director (1939-1962), his trip to China in 1941 to bring back two giant pandas, and the Zoo’s proposed Conservation Exhibit (1942-1958). The collection...
- Subject: Zoo animals X
- New York Zoological Society 12
- New York Aquarium 7
- Hornaday, William T., (William Temple), 1854-1937 3
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). 3
- Beebe, William, 1877-1962 2
- Blair, W. Reid, (William Reid), 1875- 2
- Bridges, William, 1901- 2
- Conway, William, 1929- 2
- Crandall, Lee S., (Lee Saunders), 1887-1969 2
- Davall, Grace 2
- Grant, Madison, 1865-1937 2
- New York Zoological Society. Ornithology Department 2
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). Wildlife Survival Center (Saint Catherines Island, Ga.) 2
- American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. 1
- Cook, Robert Allen 1
- Ditmars, Raymond Lee, 1876-1942 1
- Dolensek, Emil P. 1
- Griffis, Nixon 1
- Institute for Research in Animal Behavior 1
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1
- King, F. Wayne (Frederic Wayne), 1936- 1
- McKew, John 1
- National Collection of Heads and Horns. 1
- New York World's Fair (1964-1965 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Zoological Society. Animal Health Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. Board of Trustees. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Board of Trustees. Exploration and Scientific Collection Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. City Zoos Project. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Publications 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Publications and Public Relations 1
- New York Zoological Society. Herpetology Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. Mammalogy Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. Office of the Assistant Director for Administrative Services 1
- New York Zoological Society. Office of the General Director 1
- New York Zoological Society. Public Affairs Division 1
- New York Zoological Society. Public Relations and Promotions Unit 1
- Osborn, Fairfield, 1887-1969 1
- Osborn, Henry Fairfield, 1857-1935 1
- Sanborn, Elwin R., (Elwin Roswell) 1
- Tee-Van, John 1
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 1
- United States. Department of Agriculture 1
- Walter, Eugene J. 1
- Wildlife Conservation International (New York Zoological Society). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). International Program. 1 ∧ less