New York Zoological Society. Director of Conservation. F. Wayne King records
Scope and Contents
- 1960 - 1980
- Majority of material found within 1973 - 1979
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
Biographical / Historical
Frederic Wayne King received his Ph.D. in Zoology from the University of Miami. He came to the New York Zoological Society (NYZS) in 1967 as an Associate Curator of Herpetology. While in the Department of Herpetology, King took part in two NYZS research trips to Indonesia and Sarawak in 1968 and 1969 to gather information and meet with officials for the conservation of Komodo monitor lizards.
King proceeded to hold several positions during his career at NYZS: Curator of Herpetology (1968-1975), Chairman of Educational Programs (1971-1972), Director of Conservation and Environmental Education (1973-1974), Director of Conservation (1974-1979), and Director of Zoology (1975-1979). In 1979, King’s Department of Conservation and George Schaller’s International Center for Field Biology and Conservation merged into the Center for Wildlife Conservation and Research, where King and Schaller held parallel positions before the department became the Animal Research and Conservation Center (ARC). King served as a Scientific Fellow for ARC.
King was Chair of both the American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquarium’s Wildlife Contraception Center and the American Committee for International Conservation, and he was Deputy Chair for the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s Survival Services Commission. He was also Scientific Editor of NYZS’s technical publication Zoologica from 1971 to 1974.
30.65 Linear Feet (73 Hollinger boxes, 1 Half Hollinger box)
1.42 Cubic Feet (1 flat box)
Language of Materials
- Series 1:
- Correspondence, 1960-1979
- Series 2:
- Subject Files, 1961-1979
- Series 3:
- Administrative, 1950-1980
- Sub-Series 3.A:
- Reptile Department, 1950-1979
- Sub-Series 3.B:
- Department of Zoology, 1974-1979
- Sub-Series 3.C:
- Education Department, 1971-1973
- Sub-Series 3.D:
- Conservation Department, 1973-1978
- Sub-Series 3.E:
- Center for Wildlife Conservation and Research, 1974-1980
- Sub-Series 3.F:
- New York Zoological Society, 1971-1979
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Guide to the Records of Department of Conservation Director F. Wayne King, 1960-1980 (bulk 1973-1979).
- Sana Masood
- September 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Collection processing and finding aid creation for this collection was made possible through the National Historical Publications and Records Commission Access to Historical Records grant program.