Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview Collection contains records produced by the Center for Field Biology and Conservation, a department of the New York Zoological Society, as well as some records produced by its predecessor institution, the Institute for Animal Research and Behavior. From 1972 to 1979, the Center was responsible for managing the field research and conservation activities of staff researchers Roger Payne, George Schaller, and Thomas Struhsaker and their assistants. The collection includes records concerning...
Abstract In the mid-to-late 20th century, audio-visual service functions at the New York Zoological Society (NYZS) were not centralized, but were instead performed by a variety of different departments, divisions, and individual staff members. NYZS's Department of Education played a significant role in the delivery of audio-visual services in the Society from the 1940s through the 1980s. By the 1940s the Department of Education's provision of audio-visual services included a visual aids service...
Overview During his career at NYZS, F. Wayne King held positions as Curator of Herpetology, Chairman of Educational Programs, Director of Conservation and Environmental Education, Director of Conservation, and Director of Zoology. This collection contains the correspondence, subject files, and administrative files of F. Wayne King’s work at NYZS.
Overview The collection holds of the records of the international programs of the New York Zoological Society (NYZS), with records relating to NYZS sponsorship of field research and wildlife conservation projects carried out from the 1970s to the early 1990s. These grants funded ecological studies of animals and regions, as well as projects promoting wildlife conservation education, conservation legislation, and the creation of protected areas. The bulk of the collection consists of correspondence...
Overview This collection contains the records of Fairfield Osborn, who served as President of the New York Zoological Society from 1940 to 1968. Considered one of the foremost conservationists of his era, Osborn was a driving force behind the expansion of the Society’s international wildlife conservation efforts, and he founded the Conservation Foundation as an offshoot of the Society to promote environmental education and research. During his presidency, Osborn also oversaw the development of several...
Overview The collection contains the records of William G. Conway, General Director and President of the New York Zoological Society (which became the Wildlife Conservation Society) and Ornithology Curator and Director of the Society’s Bronx Zoo. During his 43 years at the Society, Conway oversaw the growth of the organization’s international conservation programs, a wave of development at the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium, the acquisition of the Wildlife Survival Center on Saint Catherines...
- Subject: Wildlife research X
- New York Zoological Society 5
- New York Zoological Park 4
- New York Aquarium 3
- King, F. Wayne (Frederic Wayne), 1936- 2
- Struhsaker, Thomas T. 2
- Wildlife Conservation International (New York Zoological Society). 2
- American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. 1
- Bridges, William, 1901- 1
- Carr, Archie Fairly, 1945- 1
- Clark, Susan G., 1942- 1
- Conservation Foundation 1
- Conway, William, 1929- 1
- Dunton, Sam C. 1
- Institute for Research in Animal Behavior 1
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1
- Kibale Forest Reserve (Uganda) 1
- Knobloch, Herbert J. 1
- Lewis, D. M., (Dale M.) 1
- Mittermeier, Russell A. 1
- New York World's Fair (1939-1940 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Zoological Society. Animal Research and Conservation Center. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Center for Field Biology and Conservation. 1
- New York Zoological Society. City Zoos Project. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Conservation Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. Conservation Department. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research 1
- New York Zoological Society. Education Department 1
- New York Zoological Society. International Conservation Division. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences 1
- Osborn, Fairfield, 1887-1969 1
- Payne, Roger, 1935- 1
- Peyton, Bernard 1
- Schaller, George B. 1
- Western, David 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). International Program. 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). Wildlife Survival Center (Saint Catherines Island, Ga.) 1 ∧ less