Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
New York Zoological Park. Offices of Director and Department of Herpetology Curator. James A. Oliver records
Abstract After having received his doctorate at the University of Michigan, James A. Oliver was hired as Assistant Curator of Herpetology at the American Museum of Natural History. In 1948 Oliver left the Museum for the University of Florida's Biology Department; after three years the New York Zoological Society hired him to be the Bronx Zoo's Curator of Herpetology. Under his direction the Zoo's herpetological collections and research efforts flourished; Oliver also renovated and modernized the Zoo's...
New York Zoological Society. Department of Herpetology and Department of Mammalogy. Office of Curator. Raymond L. Ditmars records
Overview One of the Bronx Zoo's earliest staff members, Raymond L. Ditmars (1876-1942) served as Curator of Reptiles, Curator of Mammals and Reptiles, and Curator of Insects and Reptiles. These records deal primarily with his work in the Department of Herpetology. Included is correspondence with reptile specialists, animal traders, and the interested public. Notable correspondents include Thomas Barbour and Gifford Pinchot.
Overview During his career at NYZS, F. Wayne King held positions as Curator of Herpetology, Chairman of Educational Programs, Director of Conservation and Environmental Education, Director of Conservation, and Director of Zoology. This collection contains the correspondence, subject files, and administrative files of F. Wayne King’s work at NYZS.
Overview The collection consists of correspondence, administrative and subject files, and publications from the New York Zoological Society’s long-term Herpetology Curator, John Behler. Over the years, Behler held administrative positions within the Society outside of the Herpetology Department, such as co-chair of the Safety Committee and Program Director of the Society’s Wildlife Survival Center on Saint Catherines Island, Georgia. Along the way Behler also found time to conduct research on snakebites...
- Subject: Herpetology X
- New York Zoological Society 3
- New York Zoological Society. Herpetology Department 3
- American Museum of Natural History 1
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists 1
- Barbour, Thomas, 1884-1946 1
- Ditmars, Raymond Lee, 1876-1942 1
- Griffis, Nixon 1
- King, F. Wayne (Frederic Wayne), 1936- 1
- New York Zoological Society. Board of Trustees. Exploration and Scientific Collection Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. Mammalogy Department 1
- Oliver, James A. (James Arthur), 1914-1981 1
- University of Florida. Department of Biology 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). Wildlife Survival Center (Saint Catherines Island, Ga.) 1 ∧ less