Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 18
Overview The collection holds records from Myron Gordon, Geneticist at the New York Aquarium’s Fish Genetics Laboratory. Gordon, who also held a staff appointment at the American Museum of Natural History, was known for his research on the genetic aspects of and mechanisms for speciation, sex determination, and tumor development in platyfish and swordtails, the fishes that comprise the Xiphophorus genus. The collection includes correspondence, subject files, and records...
Overview Charles Haskins Townsend served as the Director of the New York Aquarium (NYA) from 1902 to 1937. This collection includes correspondence and subject files during his tenure as Director, articles and reports on such subjects as Northern fur seals and Galapagos tortoises, whaling records that he used to create maps of whale distribution, and photographs he took during trips and expeditions to locations including the Bahamas, Canada, California, and Alaska.
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. W. Reid Blair collection of records from Matameck Conference on Biological Cycles
Overview This collection includes notes, clippings, memorabilia, and correspondence collected by W. Reid Blair and related to the 1931 Matameck Conference on Biological Cycles (also known as the Canadian Biological Conference). Also included in the collection are typed manuscripts of reports by the influential ecologist Charles Elton.
New York Zoological Park. Office of General Curator and General Curator Emeritus. Lee S. Crandall records and papers
Overview Lee Saunders Crandall (1887-1969) began his sixty-one year association at the New York Zoological Society's Bronx Zoo in June 1908 as a student keeper in the animal departments, and was thereafter steadily promoted through the ranks, eventually becoming the Zoo's General Curator in charge of mammals and birds in 1943. Following his 1952 retirement, Crandall continued coming in to work for another 17 years, as the Zoo's General Curator Emeritus. Crandall was lauded for his collecting trips to...
Overview Collection contains records produced by the Center for Field Biology and Conservation, a department of the New York Zoological Society, as well as some records produced by its predecessor institution, the Institute for Animal Research and Behavior. From 1972 to 1979, the Center was responsible for managing the field research and conservation activities of staff researchers Roger Payne, George Schaller, and Thomas Struhsaker and their assistants. The collection includes records concerning...
Overview This collection consists of records related to the work of the New York Zoological Society’s Department of Tropical Research, which conducted ecological expeditions between 1916 and 1964. These records appear to have been transferred to the Wildlife Conservation Society Archives after the primary DTR collections were processed, and they supplement those collections (WCS Archives Collections 1005A-1005J). The majority of the records were created by DTR Director William Beebe and Assistant...
New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research expedition illustrations and related visual materials
Abstract Throughout its history, the New York Zoological Society’s Department of Tropical Research employed artists to illustrate the specimens they observed and collected during their expeditions. Artists participated in the expeditions and collaborated closely with DTR scientists to create their illustrations. This collection includes around 2,000 color and black-and-white illustrations of living and non-living specimens created by these field artists between 1916 and 1953. Among the artists are...
Overview The Department of Tropical Research (DTR), founded by William Beebe, carried out intensive ecological investigations in terrestrial and oceanographic settings. This collection spans the extent of DTR history and activities and contains a wide range of materials, including correspondence, expedition reports, guest books, specimen catalogues, and catalogues of motion pictures and illustration. DTR staff represented within the records include Beebe, Jocelyn Crane, Gloria Hollister, and John...
New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research. Oceanographic expeditions. Antares and Hardi Biaou records
Overview The New York Zoological Society's Department of Tropical Research collected data on marine life among the Leeward and Grenadine Islands from the yacht Antares during 1932. The following year, DTR Director William Beebe and other staff returned to the West Indies aboard the Antares. In 1936, the DTR gathered material during a West Indian cruise aboard the yacht Hardi Biaou. The records in this...
New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research. Oceanographic expeditions. Bermuda records
Overview This collection consists of data, manuscript notes, and lists documenting the marine science activities of the Department of Tropical Research staff at Bermuda from 1929 through 1939. Included are trawling records, fish outlines, bird censuses. This collection also includes logbooks of notes dictated to Gloria Hollister by William Beebe via telephone from the bathysphere dives of 1930, 1931, and 1932; correspondence concerning the bathysphere, 1929-1930, from John H. J. Butler's office at the...
- Subject: Scientific expeditions X
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research 11
- Beebe, William, 1877-1962 10
- New York Zoological Society 6
- Anable, Gloria Hollister 3
- Tee-Van, John 3
- New York Zoological Park 2
- Struhsaker, Thomas T. 2
- Albatross (Steamer) 1
- Asaeda, Toshio, 1893-1968 1
- Barton, Otis 1
- Blair, W. Reid, (William Reid), 1875- 1
- Bostelmann, Else (Else Winkler von Röder), 1882-1961 1
- Boyden, Douglas 1
- Butler, John H. J. 1
- Carr, Archie Fairly, 1945- 1
- Clark, Susan G., 1942- 1
- Cooper, Isabel, 1892-1984 1
- Cox and Stevens. 1
- Crandall, Lee S., (Lee Saunders), 1887-1969 1
- Crane, Jocelyn 1
- Davall, Grace 1
- Dickerman, Donald Horace, 1893- 1
- Elton, Charles S., (Charles Sutherland), 1900-1991 1
- Franklin, Dwight 1
- Geske, E. J. (Erich John), 1873-1934 1
- Goelet, Robert G. 1
- Gordon, Myron, 1899-1959 1
- Gosner, Kenneth L., 1925- 1
- Hartley, Rachel M. 1
- Howes, Paul Griswold, 1892-1983 1
- Hubbs, Carl L., (Carl Leavitt), 1894-1979 1
- Kallman, Klaus D. 1
- Kibale Forest Reserve (Uganda) 1
- King, F. Wayne (Frederic Wayne), 1936- 1
- Lewis, D. M., (Dale M.) 1
- Miller, Llewellyn 1
- Mittermeier, Russell A. 1
- New York Aquarium 1
- New York Aquarium. Fish Genetics Laboratory 1
- New York Zoological Society. Animal Research and Conservation Center. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Center for Field Biology and Conservation. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Conservation Department. 1
- New York Zoological Society. International Conservation Division. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Ornithology Department 1
- Payne, Roger, 1935- 1
- Peyton, Bernard 1
- Rosen, Donn Eric, 1929-1986 1
- Schaller, George B. 1
- Schlageter, Laura, 1922-2000 1
- Swanson, George Alan, 1908-1968 1
- Taylor, Anna Heyward, 1879-1956 1
- Tee-Van, Helen Damrosch, 1893-1976 1
- Townsend, Charles Haskins, 1859-1944 1
- United States. Bureau of Fisheries 1
- United States. Department of the Navy 1
- Western, David 1
- Wildlife Conservation International (New York Zoological Society). 1 ∧ less