Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6
Overview This collection is composed of scrapbooks created by New York Zoological Park (Bronx Zoo) Director William T. Hornaday between approximately 1896 and 1927 and concerning zoos and the Bronx Zoo in particular. Six of the scrapbooks focus on European zoos and include material that may have been collected by Hornaday in 1896 when the New York Zoological Society sent him to Europe to collect ideas for the new Bronx Zoo (a fifth zoo scrapbook covers Taronga Park). Topics covered by other scrapbooks...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair incoming correspondence and subject files
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first Director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of incoming correspondence (and sometimes carbon copies or drafts of outgoing correspondence), staff memoranda, reports, and working papers reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations...
New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair outgoing correspondence
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of carbon copies of outgoing correspondence reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations administered by the director and general curator of the New York Zoological Park. These letterpress...
New York Zoological Park. Offices of Director and Department of Herpetology Curator. James A. Oliver records
Abstract After having received his doctorate at the University of Michigan, James A. Oliver was hired as Assistant Curator of Herpetology at the American Museum of Natural History. In 1948 Oliver left the Museum for the University of Florida's Biology Department; after three years the New York Zoological Society hired him to be the Bronx Zoo's Curator of Herpetology. Under his direction the Zoo's herpetological collections and research efforts flourished; Oliver also renovated and modernized the Zoo's...
Overview Allyn R. Jennings was appointed General Director in June 1940. He resigned from the position in December 1941. These records consist primarily of correspondence and subject files created by the General Director in 1940. Also included are some correspondence and other records of W. Reid Blair, who retired from the position of Director and General Curator of the Zoological Park in May 1940.
Overview The collection contains the records of William G. Conway, General Director and President of the New York Zoological Society (which became the Wildlife Conservation Society) and Ornithology Curator and Director of the Society’s Bronx Zoo. During his 43 years at the Society, Conway oversaw the growth of the organization’s international conservation programs, a wave of development at the Bronx Zoo and the New York Aquarium, the acquisition of the Wildlife Survival Center on Saint Catherines...
- Subject: Zoo directors X
- New York Zoological Park 5
- Blair, W. Reid, (William Reid), 1875- 3
- Hornaday, William T., (William Temple), 1854-1937 3
- New York Aquarium 3
- American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. 1
- American Museum of Natural History 1
- American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists 1
- Beebe, William, 1877-1962 1
- Conway, William, 1929- 1
- Crandall, Lee S., (Lee Saunders), 1887-1969 1
- Ditmars, Raymond Lee, 1876-1942 1
- Grant, Madison, 1865-1937 1
- Institute for Research in Animal Behavior 1
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources 1
- Jennings, Allyn R. 1
- National Collection of Heads and Horns. 1
- New York Zoological Society. City Zoos Project. 1
- New York Zoological Society. Herpetology Department 1
- Oliver, James A. (James Arthur), 1914-1981 1
- Osborn, Henry Fairfield, 1857-1935 1
- University of Florida. Department of Biology 1
- Wildlife Conservation International (New York Zoological Society). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). International Program. 1
- Wildlife Conservation Society (New York, N.Y.). Wildlife Survival Center (Saint Catherines Island, Ga.) 1 ∧ less