Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

New York Aquarium and Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. Office of Director. George D. Ruggieri records

 Fonds
Identifier: 3008
Overview The collection holds records and personal papers from George D. Ruggieri, S.J., Director of the New York Aquarium [NYA] and of the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences [OLMS]. Ruggieri began his affiliation with OLMS during his graduate studies in marine biology and joined the staff shortly after his 1962 ordination as a Jesuit Priest. His research concentrated on marine natural products, especially the effects of various metabolites on the reproduction and development of other organisms and...

New York Zoological Society. Office of Assistant Secretary. Harold C. Palmer records

 Fonds
Identifier: 2034
Overview Harold Cornelius Palmer (1918-1998) joined the staff of the New York Zoological Society (NYZS) in 1961. Palmer served as director of the Development Fund Campaign and as assistant to the Society President Fairfield Osborn. From 1964 until his retirement in 1980, Palmer held the office of Assistant Secretary to the Board of Trustees. The bulk of this collection consists of correspondence and subject files dealing with NYZS administrative matters, 1902-1983 (Bulk 1937-1976), the New York Aquarium...

New York Zoological Society. Office of President. Fairfield Osborn records

 Fonds
Identifier: 1029
Overview This collection contains the records of Fairfield Osborn, who served as President of the New York Zoological Society from 1940 to 1968. Considered one of the foremost conservationists of his era, Osborn was a driving force behind the expansion of the Society’s international wildlife conservation efforts, and he founded the Conservation Foundation as an offshoot of the Society to promote environmental education and research. During his presidency, Osborn also oversaw the development of several...

New York Zoological Society. Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences and New York Aquarium records

 Collection
Identifier: 3001
Overview The collection holds records from the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. The New York Aquarium, founded in 1896 and operated by the New York Zoological Society since 1902, was moved from its original Manhattan location in 1941. After an interlude at the Bronx Zoo, a new Aquarium opened in 1957 in Coney Island, Brooklyn. The Aquarium’s research laboratories, which had also been moved offsite, reunited with the public Aquarium a decade later, in 1967. The Aquarium...