Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract During the course of his career, James A. Oliver held various positions at some of New York City’s most prominent science museums, notably Director of the American Museum of Natural History and of the New York Zoological Society’s Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium. Oliver’s New York Aquarium records contain his general correspondence with the public and his internal administrative files, and reflect his tenure as Director, during which he oversaw the Aquarium’s day-to-day management and...
Overview Charles Haskins Townsend served as the Director of the New York Aquarium (NYA) from 1902 to 1937. This collection includes correspondence and subject files during his tenure as Director, articles and reports on such subjects as Northern fur seals and Galapagos tortoises, whaling records that he used to create maps of whale distribution, and photographs he took during trips and expeditions to locations including the Bahamas, Canada, California, and Alaska.
Overview This collection contains the records of Fairfield Osborn, who served as President of the New York Zoological Society from 1940 to 1968. Considered one of the foremost conservationists of his era, Osborn was a driving force behind the expansion of the Society’s international wildlife conservation efforts, and he founded the Conservation Foundation as an offshoot of the Society to promote environmental education and research. During his presidency, Osborn also oversaw the development of several...
- Subject: Public aquariums -- Administration X
- New York Zoological Society 2
- Albatross (Steamer) 1
- Conservation Foundation 1
- New York World's Fair (1939-1940 : New York, N.Y.) 1
- New York Zoological Park 1
- New York Zoological Society. Conservation Committee 1
- New York Zoological Society. Department of Tropical Research 1
- New York Zoological Society. Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences 1
- Oliver, James A. (James Arthur), 1914-1981 1
- Osborn, Fairfield, 1887-1969 1
- Townsend, Charles Haskins, 1859-1944 1
- United States. Bureau of Fisheries 1 ∧ less