New York Zoological Society. Scientific Assistant to the General Director. Joseph A. Davis records
The collection holds the administrative records of Joseph Anthony Davis, Jr. while he held the position of Scientific Assistant to the General Director. Davis started at the Bronx Zoo in the Mammalogy Department as an Assistant Curator in 1958 and eventually became Curator in 1962. In 1966 Davis moved to a position created for him in the General Director’s Office, Scientific Assistant to the Director (William Conway).
- 1968 - 1974
- Davis, Joseph Anthony, 1930- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Please consult the WCS Archives regarding possible access restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Please consult the WCS Archives regarding possible usage restrictions.
Biographical / Historical
Joseph Anthony Davis, Jr. started at the Bronx Zoo as an Assistant Curator of Mammalogy in 1958 and rose to the position of Curator of Mammalogy in 1962. In 1966, the position of Scientific Assistant to the Director was created for him, and he served in the position under William Conway until 1976. Davis experimented with the concept of nocturnal exhibits, and the research eventually contributed to the World of Darkness exhibit. He was an expert on otters and served as Honorary Consultant to the Survival Commission of the IUCN in the Otter Specialist Group. Additionally, Davis was an author and illustrator and wrote numerous scientific papers and popular articles and books.
1.25 Linear Feet (3 Hollinger Boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged in two series:
- Series 1:
- Correspondence, 1974-1978
- Series 2:
- Subject Files, 1964-1979
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Internal transfers (Acc. 1979.010).
The Whale Fund Manual was transferred 2016/Publications-Printed Ephemera collection.
- Guide to the New York Zoological Society. Scientific Assistant to the General Director. Joseph A. Davis records, 1968-1974.
- Sana Masood
- July 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Collection processing and finding aid creation for this collection was made possible through the National Historical Publications and Records Commission Access to Historical Records grant program.