Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The collection holds records from the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. The New York Aquarium, founded in 1896 and operated by the New York Zoological Society since 1902, was moved from its original Manhattan location in 1941. After an interlude at the Bronx Zoo, a new Aquarium opened in 1957 in Coney Island, Brooklyn. The Aquarium’s research laboratories, which had also been moved offsite, reunited with the public Aquarium a decade later, in 1967. The Aquarium...
Overview The collection consists of correspondence, administrative and subject files, and publications from the New York Zoological Society’s long-term Herpetology Curator, John Behler. Over the years, Behler held administrative positions within the Society outside of the Herpetology Department, such as co-chair of the Safety Committee and Program Director of the Society’s Wildlife Survival Center on Saint Catherines Island, Georgia. Along the way Behler also found time to conduct research on snakebites...