Ruggieri, George D.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
New York Aquarium and Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. Office of Director. George D. Ruggieri records
Overview The collection holds records and personal papers from George D. Ruggieri, S.J., Director of the New York Aquarium [NYA] and of the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences [OLMS]. Ruggieri began his affiliation with OLMS during his graduate studies in marine biology and joined the staff shortly after his 1962 ordination as a Jesuit Priest. His research concentrated on marine natural products, especially the effects of various metabolites on the reproduction and development of other organisms and...
Overview The collection holds correspondence, administrative and operational records, subject files, and other materials from directors, curators, and other senior staff at the New York Aquarium. After a long closure, the New York Zoological Society [NYZS] reopened the New York Aquarium [NYA] in its new location on Coney Island in 1957, with Director Christopher W. Coates at the helm. Coates’s 1964 retirement, however, heralded the start of over a decade of high turnover for the Aquariums directors and...
Overview The collection holds records from the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. The New York Aquarium, founded in 1896 and operated by the New York Zoological Society since 1902, was moved from its original Manhattan location in 1941. After an interlude at the Bronx Zoo, a new Aquarium opened in 1957 in Coney Island, Brooklyn. The Aquarium’s research laboratories, which had also been moved offsite, reunited with the public Aquarium a decade later, in 1967. The Aquarium...