New York Aquarium
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
New York Aquarium and Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. Office of Director. George D. Ruggieri records
Overview The collection holds records and personal papers from George D. Ruggieri, S.J., Director of the New York Aquarium [NYA] and of the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences [OLMS]. Ruggieri began his affiliation with OLMS during his graduate studies in marine biology and joined the staff shortly after his 1962 ordination as a Jesuit Priest. His research concentrated on marine natural products, especially the effects of various metabolites on the reproduction and development of other organisms and...
Abstract The collection holds records from Charles M. Breder and Christopher W. Coates, who were, respectively, the last Director of the New York Aquarium in its original building in Battery Park on Manhattan (where it was located from 1896 to 1941) and the first Director of the New York Aquarium in its current facility on Coney Island in Brooklyn (where it has been located from 1957 until the present). Breder's records pertain primarily to the work of Myron Gordon at the Aquarium's Fish Genetics...
Abstract During the course of his career, James A. Oliver held various positions at some of New York City’s most prominent science museums, notably Director of the American Museum of Natural History and of the New York Zoological Society’s Bronx Zoo and New York Aquarium. Oliver’s New York Aquarium records contain his general correspondence with the public and his internal administrative files, and reflect his tenure as Director, during which he oversaw the Aquarium’s day-to-day management and...
Overview The collection consists of records from Louis Garibaldi’s tenure as Associate Director and Director of the New York Aquarium. As Associate Director Garibaldi held responsibility for many of the Aquarium’s operational functions while the Aquarium’s Director, George Ruggieri, coordinated with the New York Zoological Society’s upper administration and also directed the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. When Ruggieri passed away in 1987, Garibaldi was the natural candidate to continue his...
Overview Charles Haskins Townsend served as the Director of the New York Aquarium (NYA) from 1902 to 1937. This collection includes correspondence and subject files during his tenure as Director, articles and reports on such subjects as Northern fur seals and Galapagos tortoises, whaling records that he used to create maps of whale distribution, and photographs he took during trips and expeditions to locations including the Bahamas, Canada, California, and Alaska.
Overview The collection holds correspondence, administrative and operational records, subject files, and other materials from directors, curators, and other senior staff at the New York Aquarium. After a long closure, the New York Zoological Society [NYZS] reopened the New York Aquarium [NYA] in its new location on Coney Island in 1957, with Director Christopher W. Coates at the helm. Coates’s 1964 retirement, however, heralded the start of over a decade of high turnover for the Aquariums directors and...
Overview This collection contains the records of Fairfield Osborn, who served as President of the New York Zoological Society from 1940 to 1968. Considered one of the foremost conservationists of his era, Osborn was a driving force behind the expansion of the Society’s international wildlife conservation efforts, and he founded the Conservation Foundation as an offshoot of the Society to promote environmental education and research. During his presidency, Osborn also oversaw the development of several...
Overview The collection holds records from the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. The New York Aquarium, founded in 1896 and operated by the New York Zoological Society since 1902, was moved from its original Manhattan location in 1941. After an interlude at the Bronx Zoo, a new Aquarium opened in 1957 in Coney Island, Brooklyn. The Aquarium’s research laboratories, which had also been moved offsite, reunited with the public Aquarium a decade later, in 1967. The Aquarium...