New York Aquarium
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
New York Aquarium and Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. Office of Director. George D. Ruggieri records
Overview The collection holds records and personal papers from George D. Ruggieri, S.J., Director of the New York Aquarium [NYA] and of the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences [OLMS]. Ruggieri began his affiliation with OLMS during his graduate studies in marine biology and joined the staff shortly after his 1962 ordination as a Jesuit Priest. His research concentrated on marine natural products, especially the effects of various metabolites on the reproduction and development of other organisms and...
Overview This collection contains the records of Fairfield Osborn, who served as President of the New York Zoological Society from 1940 to 1968. Considered one of the foremost conservationists of his era, Osborn was a driving force behind the expansion of the Society’s international wildlife conservation efforts, and he founded the Conservation Foundation as an offshoot of the Society to promote environmental education and research. During his presidency, Osborn also oversaw the development of several...
Overview The collection holds records from the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. The New York Aquarium, founded in 1896 and operated by the New York Zoological Society since 1902, was moved from its original Manhattan location in 1941. After an interlude at the Bronx Zoo, a new Aquarium opened in 1957 in Coney Island, Brooklyn. The Aquarium’s research laboratories, which had also been moved offsite, reunited with the public Aquarium a decade later, in 1967. The Aquarium...