Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

New York Zoological Park

 Organization

Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:

New York Aquarium. Office of Director. Charles M. Breder and Christopher W. Coates records

 Fonds
Identifier: 3009
Abstract The collection holds records from Charles M. Breder and Christopher W. Coates, who were, respectively, the last Director of the New York Aquarium in its original building in Battery Park on Manhattan (where it was located from 1896 to 1941) and the first Director of the New York Aquarium in its current facility on Coney Island in Brooklyn (where it has been located from 1957 until the present). Breder's records pertain primarily to the work of Myron Gordon at the Aquarium's Fish Genetics...

New York Zoological Park. Office of Director and General Curator. William T. Hornaday scrapbooks

 Fonds
Identifier: 1033
Overview This collection is composed of scrapbooks created by New York Zoological Park (Bronx Zoo) Director William T. Hornaday between approximately 1896 and 1927 and concerning zoos and the Bronx Zoo in particular. Six of the scrapbooks focus on European zoos and include material that may have been collected by Hornaday in 1896 when the New York Zoological Society sent him to Europe to collect ideas for the new Bronx Zoo (a fifth zoo scrapbook covers Taronga Park). Topics covered by other scrapbooks...

New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair incoming correspondence and subject files

 Fonds
Identifier: 1001
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first Director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of incoming correspondence (and sometimes carbon copies or drafts of outgoing correspondence), staff memoranda, reports, and working papers reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations...

New York Zoological Park. Office of Director. William T. Hornaday and W. Reid Blair outgoing correspondence

 Fonds
Identifier: 1012
Overview William T. Hornaday (1854-1937) was the first director of the New York Zoological Park, from 1896 until his retirement in 1926. W. Reid Blair (1875-1949), Veterinarian from 1902 to 1922 and Assistant Director beginning in 1922, directed the Zoo from 1926 until 1940. These records consist of carbon copies of outgoing correspondence reflecting the planning, policies, and day-to-day operations administered by the director and general curator of the New York Zoological Park. These letterpress...

New York Zoological Park. Office of General Curator and General Curator Emeritus. Lee S. Crandall records and papers

 Fonds
Identifier: 1019
Overview Lee Saunders Crandall (1887-1969) began his sixty-one year association at the New York Zoological Society's Bronx Zoo in June 1908 as a student keeper in the animal departments, and was thereafter steadily promoted through the ranks, eventually becoming the Zoo's General Curator in charge of mammals and birds in 1943. Following his 1952 retirement, Crandall continued coming in to work for another 17 years, as the Zoo's General Curator Emeritus. Crandall was lauded for his collecting trips to...

New York Zoological Park. Offices of Director and Department of Herpetology Curator. James A. Oliver records

 Fonds
Identifier: 2027
Abstract After having received his doctorate at the University of Michigan, James A. Oliver was hired as Assistant Curator of Herpetology at the American Museum of Natural History. In 1948 Oliver left the Museum for the University of Florida's Biology Department; after three years the New York Zoological Society hired him to be the Bronx Zoo's Curator of Herpetology. Under his direction the Zoo's herpetological collections and research efforts flourished; Oliver also renovated and modernized the Zoo's...

New York Zoological Society Board of Trustees. Office of Secretary. Madison Grant records

 Fonds
Identifier: 1002
Overview Madison Grant was the first Secretary to the Board of Managers (Trustees) of the New York Zoological Society. He became Secretary in 1895 and resigned in 1925 to assume the office of President of the New York Zoological Society. These records document a portion of the duties of the Secretary, including serving as member, ex-officio, of the Executive, Auditing, and Aquarium Committees and Scientific Council. Additionally, as Secretary, Grant maintained records about a variety of Society...

New York Zoological Society Board of Trustees. Office of Secretary/Chairman of the Executive Committee. Madison Grant records

 Fonds
Identifier: 1003
Overview This collection includes correspondence collected, received, and composed by Madison Grant during portions of his tenure as Secretary of the New York Zoological Society from 1895 to 1925 and as Chairman of the Executive Committee from 1909 to 1937. As Secretary, after 1897 Grant served as official correspondent of the Society and this collection includes his outgoing correspondence in that role. Also present is Grant's correspondence as Chairman and President of the Bronx River Parkway...

New York Zoological Society. Department of Education. Audio-Visual Office records

 Fonds
Identifier: 2008
Abstract In the mid-to-late 20th century, audio-visual service functions at the New York Zoological Society (NYZS) were not centralized, but were instead performed by a variety of different departments, divisions, and individual staff members. NYZS's Department of Education played a significant role in the delivery of audio-visual services in the Society from the 1940s through the 1980s. By the 1940s the Department of Education's provision of audio-visual services included a visual aids service...

New York Zoological Society. Department Of Education. National Collection Of Heads And Horns records.

 Fonds
Identifier: 2031
Overview The National Collection of Heads and Horns was established by Bronx Zoo Director William T. Hornaday and New York Zoological Society (NYZS) Secretary Madison Grant in 1906. The Heads and Horns Museum building was opened in 1922. By the early 1970s, the collection was closed and the building was being used for other purposes. The collection primarily contains correspondence and inventories documenting the attempts of the Society to transfer specimens from the National Collection of Heads and...