New York Aquarium. Office of Director. Ross F. Nigrelli Papers
Scope and Content
Ross Nigrelli's correspondence starts from around the time of his retirement from the New York Aquarium, and continues for a few years after his retirement from the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Science. The rest of the material in the collection, however, spans the length of Nigrelli's career. The reprints in Series Four give the most complete view of Nigrelli's research work, and were compiled and numbered by Nigrelli--or his secretary--in more or less chronological order up through 1976. (Reprints from 1977 onwards came in chronological order with the rest, and were given year numbers by the archivist.) The student theses include papers from several people who went on to become OLMS employees.
- 1929 - 1987
- Majority of material found within 1945 - 1980
Portions of this collection are restricted. Please contact the WCS Archives for further information.
Please contact the WCS Archives regarding possible usage restrictions.
WCS Career Chronology
- 1931-1932 Fellow, New York Aquarium
- 1932-1934 Parasitologist, New York Aquarium
- 1934-1973 Pathologist, New York Aquarium
- 1957-1963 Director, NYA Laboratory of Marine Biochemistry and Ecology
- 1964-1972 Director of Research, New York Aquarium Laboratories
- 1966-1970 Director, New York Aquarium
- 1967-1973 Director, Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences
WCS Career Chronology
- Fellow, New York Aquarium
- Parasitologist, New York Aquarium
- Pathologist, New York Aquarium
- Director, NYA Laboratory of Marine Biochemistry and Ecology
- Director of Research, New York Aquarium Laboratories
- Director, New York Aquarium
- Director, Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences
2.92 Linear Feet (2 cartons, 2 half-Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of materials from Ross F. Nigrelli, Director of the New York Aquarium and the Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences. It includes correspondence, subject files, manuscripts, reprints, and theses from Nigrelli's students.
The collection is divided into the following six series:
- Series 1
- Ross F. Nigrelli correspondence, 1970-1976
- Series 2
- Subject files, 1952-1976
- Series 3
- Manuscripts, papers, and proofs, circa 1955-1975
- Series 4
- Ross F. Nigrelli reprints, 1929-1987
- Series 5
- Nigrelli's students' theses, 1949-1981 (bulk 1956-1971)
- Series 6
- Additions, 1974-1982
Other Finding Aids
The Wildlife Conservation Society Archives holds additional descriptive information pertaining to this collection; please contact the archivist for more detail.
Internal transfer, circa 1976-1979 (Acc. 1980.156).
Internal transfer, 1988 (Acc. 1988.001).
- Guide to the Papers of the New York Aquarium and Osborn Laboratories of Marine Sciences Director Ross F. Nigrelli, 1929-1987
- Finding aid prepared by Leilani Dawson, Processing Archivist
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the Wildlife Conservation Society Archives Repository
2300 Southern Blvd
Bronx New York 10460 United States